Sometimes finding a perfect destination for your next family’s vacation can be a little daunting. The world is a huge place, how can find one that will suit all of you. Here is our guide to help you find the perfect location for you and your family. Seriously and a little less so.
As fun as the traveling part is, deciding where you want to go, can be both frustrating and enjoyable. So, how do you choose? World is a huge place with beautiful known and unknown gems waiting for you to unravel them. It is helpful that like most of us, you’ve probably got limited time and resources. Otherwise, you don’t really have a problem choosing. But going away with the kids adds about a trillion of other things into consideration as well, such as duration of the trip, safety of the country, medical facilities, health risks, type of accommodation etc. Things that don’t cross your mind when you are backpacking your way through.
So, here are some hints to help you out: determine your budget, but know that you will exceed it. Set the date, once you’ve negotiated it with your colleagues at work, boss and worked it around school holidays. Decide what do you and the kids want to do? Let’s call it the theme of the holiday: sunbathing, laying around, sightseeing, adventure seeking, adrenalin pumping,…? If you know that, you are already half way there. Surf the net, check the offers, see if anything appeals. Take into the account stuff such as are you really prepared to be traveling for 16 hours, do you want to get tetanus shots, how much medical insurance is enough to get you covered, will you manage the heat/cold etc. How about the kids? All answered? And your budget will cover it? All in agreement? Then get out the credit card and book, book, book. From then on, it’s just counting down to the date, packing and off you go. Have fun!
If that doesn’t yield results or if you find it too conventional here are ten options you can try:
- Let the kids decide. – They know what they want, so spare them the numbers or dates or anything. Just let them pick and you are already at the credit card step.
- Spin the globe with your eyes shut. – No peeking. Point the finger and where it lands – your destination. All you have to do is make the reservations and go.
- Check out where the great festivals are and go. -This is actually good, we might try that as well some day.
- Drive to the airport and board the first cheapest flight. – Hm, a bit of an adventure on top of two/three/four small kids? But, hey whatever gets your blood pumping.
- Browse through the last minute deals and pick one. – Not a bad choice, if you don’t have anything in particular in mind. Just the budget 🙂
- Visit your family and friends abroad. – If they will have you. Do check before hand.
- Disneyland, Disney world, Europark or any other theme park. – you can’t go wrong.
- Bora Bora or Cook’s Islands or Fiji – if you can afford it.
- Greenland or Alaska or North Pole – if you want to be cool.
- Get in the car and drive (to anywhere you want to go) – called the road-trip and your kids should definitely be familiar with it before they get their own driving license.
Please let me know if you decide to try out one of these ten super deciding tools and if they work. Have fun wherever you are going.